What we collect and why
Our guiding principle is to collect only what we need. Here’s what that means in practice:
Identity & Access
When you book a safari, transfer or other activity with Sabie River Bush Lodge, we typically require your name, surname, email address and contact number. This is needed in order for us to process your booking, provide you with updates or information regarding your booking, and provide you the best possible support when needed. We’ll never sell your personal info to third parties, and we won’t use your name or company in marketing statements without your permission either.
When you make a booking on Sabie River Bush Lodge, we ask for your billing address. The payment of your booking is passed directly to our payment processor and doesn’t ever go through our servers. We store a record of the payment transaction including your billing address. This is for account history, invoicing, and billing support.
When you browse our marketing pages or website, your browser automatically shares certain information such as which operating system and browser version you are using. We track that information, along with the pages you are visiting, page load timing, and which website referred you for statistical purposes like conversion rates and to test new designs. We sometimes track specific link clicks to help inform some design or marketing decisions. This web analytics data is tied to your IP address and user account if applicable and are signed into our website.
We do use persistent first-party cookies to store certain preferences and make it easier for you to use our website. A cookie is a piece of text stored by your browser to help it remember your login information, site preferences, and more. You can adjust cookie retention settings in your own browser.
We also use persistent third-party cookies to track your activity and experience on our website. This information includes page referrals, pages viewed, forms submitted as well as bookings made. We use this information to improve your overall experience through our support channels and website design improvements.
To learn more about cookies, including how to view which cookies have been set and how to manage and delete them, please visit: www.allaboutcookies.org.
When you write to Sabie River Bush Lodge with a question or to ask for help, we keep that correspondence, including the email address or phone number, so that we have a history of past correspondences to reference if you reach out again in the future.
We also store any information you volunteer like surveys or through form submissions.
Information We Do Not Collect
We don’t collect any characteristics of protected classifications including age, race, gender, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, or physical and mental abilities or disabilities. You may however provide some of this data voluntarily via email correspondence which is subsequently stored as described in “Voluntary Correspondence” above.
We also do not collect or use any biometric data even if provided voluntarily, such as through your email signature or social media platforms.
Your Rights With Respect To Your Information
- Right of Access. This includes your right to access the personal information we gather about you, and your right to obtain information about the sharing, storage, security and processing of that information.
- Right to Correction. You have the right to request correction of your personal information.
- Right to Erasure / “To be Forgotten”. This is your right to request that your personal information be erased from our possession. Fulfillment of some data deletion requests may prevent you from using our website. In such cases, a data deletion request may result in closing your account.
- Right to Complain. You have the right to make a complaint regarding our handling of your personal information with the South African regulator.
- Right to Restrict Processing. This is your right to request restriction of how and why your personal information is used or processed.
- Right to Object. You have the right to object to how or why your personal information is processed.
- Right to not be subject to Automated Decision-Making. You have the right, under certain circumstances to object and prevent any decision being made solely based on automated processes.
How We Secure Your Data
All data is encrypted via SSL/TLS when transmitted from our servers to your browser.
Location Of Site And Data
While our website is operated in South Africa your data will be synchronized to a third-party cloud based CRM platform that allows us to provide you the best possible support, as well as allowing us to better manage your orders, correspondences and improve your overall experience. Your data, once synchronized may be stored or passed through Amazon Web Services (AWS) and Google Cloud Platform (GCP) in the United States or Europe.
We Commit To Resolving All Complaints
In compliance with the South African Protection of Personal Information Act (POPIA), we commit to resolve complaints about your privacy and our collection or use of your personal information.
Whenever we make a significant change to our privacy policies, we may also announce them via email.
This policy was last updated on:
24 December 2022